Friday, June 17, 2016

fabulous friday . only summer sandwich you'll need (or want!)

This is it... The be-all-end-all to sandwiches. The Sandwich to End All Sandwiches. the sandwich to rule them all. the killer bread with stuff inside.

Call it what you like.

I think it's official name is something like California Veggie Sandwich, but that name is underwhelming for such a great food.

Because your taste buds will seriously never forgive you if you don't feast on one of these babies just once in your lifetime.

On the flip side you can save it until you're right at the end, for one last (easy!) kicker, to really enjoy the life and good food.

But in all seriousness, this would definitely be one of my top ten meals from my 100 last (I may or may not be working on a list.)

I guess there's a huge part of me that misses Californian food -- and I don't just mean the mexican food -- the fresh produce was killer and I miss that little strawberry place in Elk Groove where we used to always stop and get strawberries. It was my favorite. and those strawberries! dang

and gilroy garlic. If you didn't know, your garlic comes from gilroy. like, 99.9999999 % of it does, by my conservative estimation.

and the farmers markets! I just need a few moments for the nostalgia to die down... okay, a lot of moments.


California Veggie Sandwich
adapted from Martha Stewart

Stuff you need:

  • Bread
  • mayo, if you're a mayo person
  • red onion, sliced
  • fresh goat cheese (need need)
  • cucumber, sliced thinly
  • alfalfa sprouts
  • avocado, cubed
  • carrot, grated
  • radish, grated
  • red wine vinegar to dribble over the radish (trust me)
  • salt
and the fun begins!

Bread... Slice it...

Grate stuff... (add to a bowl with a drizzle of red wine vinegar for the most flavorful goodness.)

Those colors, am I right?

and get all your ingredients in the right bowls with all the right stuff and I hope it looks something like this. If it doesn't move it to a wood table with a lot of great light.

It works like magic.

So then the bread. This is like one of my favorite parts of sandwich making... getting to stare at the bread and see all the wonderful possibilities. (note an alternate version of this sandwich to the right. Bread, Mayo, sprouts, cream cheese, and cucumbers. but I don't suggest that.)
So now you start layering. This can go in kinda any order and the trick is to get everything to stick on the sandwich. So I start with the mayo (I'm a mayo person) and add goat cheese.
Avocado goes on next and do not forget the salt!

and cucumbers and radishes and carrots in whatever order pleases your soul.
and sprouts! load 'em up! More, more, more!! You cannot get enough of these.
Okay. You might actually have a tiiiiny bit of trouble with this step if you added to many sprouts. But, hey, you are about to feast, so don't let it get you down! 

Put the bread together and you are all done making and it is ready to eat!
I do not kid: this sandwich will never let you eat another ol' ham & cheese or peanut butter & jelly without at least a sign of sadness that it isn't a veggie sandwich.

You cannot go wrong with all this goodness so go out to store and buy all these ingredients right away.

Oh, and tell me about your favorite sandwich in the comments (before you tried this one, that is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment