Tuesday, February 16, 2016

week six // the importance of an outline

It's that time again and I'm working on an outline for my decade paper (the sixties this go-round,) and it seems a lot less clear-cut than the last decade paper I wrote. But one thing I did learn last time was the importance of the outline. 

Like, I'm not kidding. This paper, that they expect you to write in an afternoon, took me a week... and all-in-all the solution was quite simple: start with an outline.

That said, this paper will still, probably, take me all week. But I've got it under control this way -- no late nights. no frustration. no dread.

Just write the darn outline.

Even more important than the outline is something even more simple than the outline, and that is the thesis.

Which got me thinking... how important is it, for life, to write our outlines? So many people around me have no outlines for their lives and their world comes tumbling down... or they've build their outline on a faulty thesis. What's your life built on? If everything comes crashing down, what do you hold onto?

And what if that, too, was taken from you?

But there is one thing that moths cannot eat, rust cannot destroy, and thieves cannot break in and steal... Like the little kid's song, be a wise man and build your house on the rock. Build your life on the Lord Jesus Christ.
day one: I think I'll start a series with my glasses because whenever I feel uncreative, my glasses always seem to make an appearance.
day two: We have quite the collection going.
day three: my sister asked for music during nap, so while I studied I turned on Amazon music (she asked for John Denver and that sidetracked to Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney and then U2 and then where I always end up... Andrew McMahon.) and the light was so nice after she fell asleep I took a few pictures of the music because I feel like we can always use more of it in our lives.


day four: "Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; 'For YAH, the LORD, is my strength and song, He also has become my salvation.' "

day five: we can dance, we can dance...

Now, go watch this interesting TED talk on The Danger Of A Single Story (something I talked briefly about here.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment